Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Cost of Attendance FAQ's

Loan FAQ's

Will taking too many concurrent classes effect Arkansas Challenge Scholarship money?

Short answer: It does not have to! 

If a student takes and completes 27+ hours of college credit while in high school, they COULD opt to do the Freshman Forfeiture (decide to skip/forfeit the first two semesters of their Academic Challenge Scholarship, in favor of getting three years of the higher-level award, rather than four years—which is only appropriate for students who will be able to complete their degrees in 3 years, and who will not be attending graduate/professional school in-state).

If a student needs more than the typical four years/eight semesters to complete their bachelor’s degree (e.g., the Architecture program at Fayetteville is 5 ½ years, requiring 157 credit hours), they could opt to NOT forfeit their freshman year award, and receive all eight semesters of eligibility. If the student is on track to finish their degree in 3 years and will tend be attending a graduate or professional (e.g. law school or med school) shortly after finishing their bachelor’s degree, and will be doing so in-state, they can use their two semesters of remaining eligibility toward such a program. SO- completing a lot of concurrent credits would NOT mess them up for the Academic Challenge.

You can always contact ADHE for further information regarding your specific circumstance.

Contact number: 479-394-7622, Ext. 1420, 1421, or 1424

  • Please submit the documents via fax or email. If you are emailing these documents, please note that this is not a secure way to send documents that contain personal information. We would recommend if you are sending information that contains personal identifiers to remove these from documents you are sending. Example: If your document contains a Social Security Number (SSN), you can mark through all but the last 4 of these identifiers. If you have questions, please email
  • Fax number is 479-394-5329. Please email us to let us know if you are faxing documents.
  • You can mail documents to the following address:
UA Rich Mountain
Financial Aid Office
1100 College Drive
Mena, Arkansas 71953

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

It is used to determine eligibility for all the Federal programs: Pell, FSEOG, Student Loans, Work-study and some state aid programs such as Arkansas Academic Challenge and other funding.  

or the current school year, you will need the following financial information:

  • Your Social Security Number (can be found on Social Security card)
  • Your driver's license (if any)
  • Your W-2 Forms from two years ago and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse's, if you are married) Federal Income Tax Return - IRS Form 1040 from two years ago, foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia or Palau
  • Your parents' Federal Income Tax Return from two years ago (if you are a dependent student)
  • Your most recent investment information, stock, bond, and other investment records
  • Your alien registration number or permanent residence card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

To organize your information, you can print and complete a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet before you begin entering your information online. Follow this link to view FAFSA information online, FAFSA on the WEB.

Almost everyone is eligible to apply for financial aid. Financial aid includes loans and work-study as well as grants.  It is important that we note that not everyone is eligible for grants.  Students can qualify for state funds and not receive grant funds.  Keep this in mind when applying for financial aid.  The following are examples as to why a student may not qualify for grants: those who have not received a high school diploma, home school equivalency, or passed the GED test, those who are not enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program, those who defaulted on any federal loans or have reached the maximum aggregate limit, and noncitizens on a F1 visa and those who are not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress at UA Rich Mountain.

Yes, you can apply before or after the semester starts!

A student that applies before the semester starts and meets the July 1st priority deadline have a greater chance of having his/her financial aid posted by the time college classes start.  This is if all necessary paperwork has been sent in.

A student applying after school starts must set up a payment plan with the Business Office until his/her Financial Aid eligibility has been determined and has been processed.


Financial aid does not transfer between colleges without you adding UA Rich Mountain as a school. You must first add our school code to your FAFSA application, cancel any remaining aid at your former college and request an official transcript be sent to UA Rich Mountain.  You will also need to complete the admissions process.  We will determine your eligibility and award you after admissions and financial aid documents have been received.  UA Rich Mountain school code is 012435.

Depending on the college you are attending, you may be eligible for a consortium (receive your financial aid by counting the hours you are enrolled in at another college). You should apply for aid at the college you are obtaining a degree from. Then, you must contact the Financial Aid Office at your home institution (institution you will receive degree from) to determine if you can complete a consortium agreement for the hours at the host institution (institution you are taking additional classes from).

If you are getting an Associate degree from UA Rich Mountain and transferring to another college, you will want to apply for aid at the college that you are enrolled in the most hours.


How do I apply for academic scholarships at UA Rich Mountain?

UA Rich Mountain Academic scholarship application is located on our website. You can click on the following link to access the UA Rich Mountain Scholarship webpage  UA Rich Mountain Academic scholarship deadline is November 15th.

How much is my scholarship?

UA Rich Mountain Academic scholarship amounts are:

  • Board of Trustees – covers the cost of tuition and a book stipend for up to 15 credit hours per semester.
  • President - covers the cost of tuition for up to 15 credit hours per semester.
  • Vice Presidents - $500 per semester and book stipend for up to 15 credit hours per semester.

All of the academic scholarships will pay for fall and spring terms only.  No summer funds will be available unless in a program that requires the student to enroll in the summer term (example:  LPN program).  This term will be counted in the two years (four semester total). 

Will I receive all of my scholarship?

The amount that will be credit to your account will vary based on your scholarship and your actual charges.  Your actual charges are dependent on the number of hours you enroll in each term.  This amount can vary from each semester due to your actual charges accrued on your account.

What are the criteria to keep my scholarship?

  • You must be enrolled in 12 credit hours each semester.
  • You must maintain a 3.00 GPA each semester enrolled.
  • You must maintain fulltime status each term, excluding summers.

How long will I be able to keep the scholarship?

The academic scholarship will can be used for up to two years at UA Rich Mountain.  The student does however have to maintain progress and meet the above criteria in order to continue eligibility.

When will I get my refund?

The Financial Aid Office sends out notifications via UA Rich Mountain student e-mail.  Students should check their UA Rich Mountain e-mails for this and other important financial aid notifications. 
In what order will my aid apply to my account?

It will depend on the combination of aid you receive.  Most often your aid will be applied in this order:  (1) Federal grants will be applied, (2) any state aid you receive, (3) any institutional aid and (4) Federal Loans/Private Loans.  NOTE:  This is not all inclusive in reference to awarding.  Some funds may be reduced depending on the amount of financial aid a student receives.

Why has my scholarship not credited to my account?

If your scholarship is not credited to your account, determine the following:

  • Have you been officially admitted to UA Rich Mountain?
  • Did you register for the correct number of hours?  (12 hours for all UA Rich Mountain academic scholarships)
  • Did you complete the FAFSA at
  • Did you turned in all required documents to Financial Aid?
  • Did you have to several scholarships and exceed your cost of attendance? 

Why did my scholarship credit for the fall term, but not the spring term?

  • Did you meet the renewal requirements for the scholarship?  Refer to your original scholarship award letter or the catalog for your award year at www.UA Rich for UA Rich Mountain Academic scholarships.
  • Register for the correct number of hours?  (12 hours for all UA Rich Mountain Academic scholarships) 

Can I appeal a lost UA Rich Mountain Academic scholarship?

Under extreme circumstances, such as severe illness or a death in the immediate family, scholarship appeals are considered.  Please send a detailed letter including supporting documentation, if appropriate, to the attention of VP for Academics and Student Affairs.   Decision notification from the scholarship appeals committee will be sent to your mailing address.

UA Rich Mountain does participate in the Federal Student Loan program. Students have the options of Federal loans and/or private loans. See UA Rich Mountain Financial Aid webpage for loan information.

How often do I have to complete the FAFSA?

You must complete the FAFSA each year after you complete your taxes.  If you and your parents (if applicable), are not required to complete a tax return, then you can file as early as October 1st of each year. 

How much Federal Pell funds will I receive?

Your eligibility is based on several factors, such as, number in family, assets, age, etc.  Once you complete the FAFSA, you will receive an estimated eligibility.  This amount is based on the award year (usually fall and spring terms).  For example, your eligibility may be estimated at $7,395.  This amount will be split for the fall and spring terms, which would be $3,698 for fall and$3,697 for spring.  This amount is based on fulltime enrollment.  (12 credit hours = fulltime for FEDERAL FUNDS!)

What does verification mean and why do I have to submit the information that the Financial Aid Office is requesting?

Verification means that your information has been selected to be reviewed.  The Central Processing System (CPS) selects FAFSA applications at random to be reviewed by the financial aid administrator.  This means that the Financial Aid Office must verify information on your FAFSA before awarding your funds.  If after the review a correction is needed, the Financial Aid personnel will have to make the correction before awarding your funds. 

You will be required to submit a signed verification worksheet, either dependent or independent worksheet.  Depending on your status, the FAO may have to obtain additional documents from you.

Why will my tax return that my tax preparer completed not be accepted for the verification process?                               

The Financial Aid Office will accept a signed copy of the Federal Tax return for students and parents, if applicable.

What happens if I do not submit all of my information for verification?  Can I still get financial aid?

The FAO will not process your Federal funds until all documents are received.  This will hold up your Federal funds.  Other financial aid may be awarded.  Once you submit all the required documents, the FAO will then be able to determine your eligibility for Federal funds.

My award notification stated that I was entitled to portion of the amount I was entitled to receive for the fall semester.  My student portal only shows that I will receive less than that amount for the fall semester.  Why?

When you receive your financial aid award notification from UA Rich Mountain, remember that it is based on fulltime status (12 credit hours). 

If your amount has been adjusted, it is because you were not enrolled in 12 credit hours on the 11th class day.  The above amount is based on ¾ time entitlement.  This means that you were enrolled in 9 to 11 credit hours and not 12 credit hours or more. 

Can I get the remaining Pell funds that I did not receive because I was not enrolled in fulltime for the fall and/or spring?

The only way you can receive the remaining funds is if you enroll in hours for the summer term.

If you are not enrolled in fulltime during the fall and/or spring term, you cannot receive the remaining funds for that term.  UA Rich Mountain is required by the Department of Education to adjust students’ funds based on enrollment. 

I did not receive Pell for the spring.  Why are my funds no longer available? 

Ask the following questions:

  • Did I maintain satisfactory progress for the fall term?  See UA Rich Mountain Satisfactory Progress Policy on Financial aid webpage.
  • Did I enroll in classes that go towards my degree at UA Rich Mountain?
  • Have I reached the hour requirements for a two year college?  See Length of eligibility for Federal funds at UA Rich Mountain.

I want to take some classes that are not in my degree plan.  Can I use my Pell grant funds to pay for these classes?

No!  You must take classes that go towards your degree only!  If you enroll in classes that are not part of your degree program, your Pell funds will be reduced to the hours that apply towards your program at UA Rich Mountain.

I finished my degree at UA Rich Mountain.  I want to take more classes that will help me when I transfer and receive my Bachelor’s degree.  Can Pell grant pay for these courses?

No, because these courses are not in your degree plan at UA Rich Mountain.  If the classes were taken for the degree that you were in at the time, then, yes.

Pell can only be used if you are enrolled in a program that is approved for Federal Pell Grant funds.

I want to take the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program at UA Rich Mountain.  Is it covered by Pell grant?

No, this program is not covered by the Federal Pell grant.

If you are applying for other financial aid assistance, you will be required to complete the FAFSA.  This is a requirement for the program that you are applying.  It does not mean that you will receive Pell grant funds. 

What is the withdrawal process?

A student that needs to withdrawal from one or all classes must contact the Associate VP for Student Affairs Office.  After completing the required document for withdrawing, the student must contact Financial Aid and present the official document for a signature.  All students are required to come by the FAO even if they do not have financial aid.  FA personnel will counsel with the student in refer to what the consequences of withdrawing from one or all classes.

If I withdrawal from classes, am I still entitled to my Pell grant funds?

You may be entitled to receive Pell grant and other Title IV funds even if you withdrawal from classes.  The following are a few scenarios:

  • If you are enrolled and were attending classes on or after the 11th class day and have completed your financial aid paperwork, you would be entitled to Pell grant funds.  The amount you would be eligible for would be determined by using software provided by the Department of Education.  This software would calculate the amount of funds, if any, you are entitled to.  UA Rich Mountain would take the amount of Pell and/or other Title IV grant entitlement and deduct your charges (tuition, fees and/or books) accrued at UA Rich Mountain for the semester you are enrolled.  If after the charges are deducted and you have a credit balance, the remaining funds will be sent to you by mail.  You will be notified within 30 days from the date of your withdrawal if you owe any Title IV funds or if you are entitled to a refund. 
  • If you withdrawal and have not completed all of your financial aid paperwork, you will not be awarded financial aid.  At this point, you would not receive the funds because your financial aid eligibility had not been determined and cannot be determined because you did not provide the documents requested by the Financial Aid Office.

If I withdraw, will I have to return my Pell grant funds?

You may be required to return a portion of your funds if you have not completed at least 60% point of the semester (Example:  The fall term 60% is usually at the end of October.  The spring term 60% is usually at the end of March.)

If you have not reached the 60% point, you may be required to pay a portion of your Pell grant funds back.  The FAO will complete a Return to Title IV calculation to determine if you owe funds or in the case of a post-withdrawal disbursement are entitled to funds.

How do I know what percentage of the semester I have completed?

To determine what percentage you have completed the following formula is used:

  • # of calendar days completed for the semester / total # of calendar days in the semester

This is used to determine the percentage of the semester the student has completed at UA Rich Mountain.

Will the Federal Pell grant pay for repeated class(es) students have failed or withdrawn from?

Yes, students can repeat classes that they fail as long as they need a “C” or better in order to advance to another course.  For example, if a student makes an “D” in English Composition I, then the student would need to repeat this course to advance to English Composition II.

Students that pass a class with a “D” cannot repeat the course and Pell pay for it.  For example, if the student takes US History I and makes a “D”, then this is passing for UA Rich Mountain purposes.  The student does not need a “C” to advance to another class.

Students can repeat a passed course for a better grade one time and still be eligible for financial aid to pay for course.

Students can repeat a failed class or withdrawn class up to two times and still receive funding.  On the third attempt, the student will have to use his/her own funds to pay for the class.

What is an NF grade and how does it impact my Pell funds?

If you receive all “NF” grades for the semester, your instructor is notifying Financial Aid that you stopped attending classes.  NF grades have the Last Date of Attendance (LDA) that you attended that class.  For financial aid purposes, the LDA is used when determining if you are required to return some or all of your Pell and/or other Title IV funds.  This notification is called an unofficial withdrawal.  This means that you stopped attending classes; however, you never officially withdrew from the class.  You will be notified if you are required to return your Title IV funds.  This notification is sent to you by mail and/or e-mail.

What if I withdrawal before completing the FAFSA?

If you withdrawal and have not completed the FAFSA, your financial aid eligibility cannot be determined because we have not record to determine if you would have been eligible for funds.

If I attended some of my classes and did not attend all of them, what happens to my Pell funds?

The following situation could happen in the even that you did not attend some of your classes:

  • Official withdrawal - UA Rich Mountain Financial Aid Office would adjust your funds to the amount that you were entitled to before withdrawing based on the classes you did attend.  For example, you were enrolled in 4 classes that resulted in 12 credit hours.  You only attended 2 classes which was a total of 6 credit hours.  Your financial aid would be adjusted to ½ time.  After the adjustment, UA Rich Mountain would then be required to perform a Return of Title IV calculation to determine how much of the funds you would be entitled to, if any, because of your withdrawal. 
  • Unofficial withdrawal – The same rule applies for students that unofficially withdrawal from classes.  This means that you just stopped attending classes and did not notify UA Rich Mountain.  If you did not attend 2 out of 4 classes, then you would only be entitled to ½ time, like the example above. 
  • Either way, your funds could be adjusted based on your official or unofficial notification.

Can my attendance affect my Pell grant funds?

Yes, if you do not attend classes regularly, your grade will show it!  Remember that you must maintain progress to continue receiving Pell grant funds. 

How do I apply for the Foundation scholarships?

You can download the UA Rich Mountain Foundation scholarship application from the UA Rich Mountain Financial Aid website at Foundation deadlines are: April 1st, July 30th and December 1st.

What are the criteria for the Foundation scholarships?

  • You must complete the application by deadline.
  • Complete all four sections of the scholarship application.
  • You must submit a copy of your high school transcript or college transcript.
  • You need to complete the FAFSA if awarded a scholarship. 
  • Maintain a 2.5 GPA while enrolled for the fall and spring terms. (If awarded for spring only, you need to have a 2.5 GPA before reapplying for the scholarship for the fall term.)

Do I still get my scholarship if I am not enrolled fulltime?

Yes, you can receive the scholarship even if you are not fulltime.  The amount of your scholarship may be adjusted.

I received the Foundation scholarship for the fall semester.  Will I receive it in the spring as well?

Yes, since you were awarded the scholarship in the fall, you will receive it in the spring as long as you maintain progress and meet the renewal criteria.

Foundation scholarships are for one year only, if awarding during the fall term.  If you are awarded during the spring, you will only receive the scholarship for one term.

I received a private scholarship. Why is it not on my student account?
  • Does the organization need proof of your enrollment?  If so, contact the Financial Aid Office in order to get proof of enrollment. 
  • Was the scholarship received late?  If so, the scholarship will be posted to your account as soon as funds are received.  Financial Aid will disburse funds every two weeks after the first disbursement.  

How is my private scholarship awarded?

In general, private scholarships are awarded for the fall term only.  The Financial Aid Office can divide the scholarship between two terms if the student would prefer to have the funds split. 

Can I receive a refund check from my private scholarship?

Yes.  If your account balance is $0.00 and the scholarship is not restricted, you would receive the funds. 

What does it mean when a scholarship is restricted or non-restricted?

Restricted scholarships are those that can only pay for educational expenses such as tuition, fees and/or books.  These funds cannot be refunded to a student because the scholarship defines that it must go to the above categories.

Non-restricted scholarships are those that can go to any educational expense the student may have while attending college.  These funds can be refunded to a student.