Associate of Applied Science Advanced Manufacturing - Machine Tool
What is Machine Tool Technology?
Machine Tool Technology is the skill of producing metal, wood, or plastic parts through milling, turning, drilling, and grinding operations. Students learn how to read blueprints and how to set up and operate lathes and milling machines. Students gain experience on the computer numerically controlled (CNC) machines which allow the machinists more productivity and greater precision. Additionally, instruction is given in related 3D printing, mathematics, and precision measurement.
Is Machine Tool Technology for me?
- Do you enjoy working with tools?
- Are you curious about the way things work and how they are made?
- Do you have the ability to focus on precision and quality?
- Are you interested in learning advanced technologies with the latest software?
The Associates of Applied Science in Advanced Manufacturing/ Machine Tool Emphasis is designed to prepare students for the skills they will need in the machining industry. This degree will also transfer to universities offering a Bachelor of Applied Science degree.
After completion of the AAS in Mechanical Engineering, the student will be able to:
- Perform programming, set-up, and operation of CNC machine tools
- Make machine and/or tooling selection decisions according to accepted machine tool practices
- Accurately measure parts using precision measuring tools to maintain quality control of machined parts.
- Interpret information from a blueprint.
- Perform set-up and operation of basic manually operated metal working machines.
- Produce parts from a blue print on a manual machine
- Demonstrate competency in writing, reading, speaking, and listening.
- Demonstrate competency in mathematics, including analytical and occupational skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the culture and society of both the nation and the world.
- Apply technological and research skills to identify, locate, and process information.
- Apply basic safety practices in the machine shop.
- Develop skills necessary for entry-level technician and operator positions in manufacturing technology