Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students are allowed financial aid for up to 150% of their degree.  Students may not exceed the hour requirement for their degree/program requirement.  Students attending part-time will be given the equivalent time allowed for full-time students.  Transfer students will be computed for periods of enrollment at other institutions based on transferability of course credits.

Students are required by federal regulation to maintain satisfactory academic progress to receive federal financial aid funds.  Progress will be measured by cumulative grade point average (GPA), course completion, and time frame to complete a degree or certificate program.  Academic progress will be reviewed each semester.  These standards will apply even if the student is not receiving any aid during an enrollment period.  Students are considered to be making satisfactory progress if they meet the following criteria:

Degree/Certificate Seeking:  Students must be admitted and enrolled in an approved program for Title IV funds. 

Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA):  Progress each term is determined on the following grade scale:

Hours Attempted Minimum GPA
1-15 1.50
16-29 1.75
30-over 2.00

Completion of Courses:  The student must progress through their educational program at a minimum completion pace of 67%.

Enrollment Status Semester Hours

Minimum Hours Completed

Yearly Hours Completed
Full-Time 12 8 or more 16 or more
Three-Quarter Time 9-11 6 12
Half-Time 6-8 4 8

Maximum Time to Complete Degree:  Students must complete the requirements for a degree within the following time frame:

Degree Credit Hours
Associate Degrees 90 Credit Hours
LPN Certificate 76 Credit Hours
LPN to RN Associate Degree 176 Credit Hours
Cosmetology Certificate 63 Credit Hours
Technical Certificates 150% of the Program Requirements

The first semester a student fails to complete the minimum hours required or fails to maintain the minimum GPA as stated below, he/she will be placed on Financial Aid Warning and may receive Federal Aid for one additional semester. During that additional semester, if the student still does not meet the minimum GPA or does not meet the minimum semester credit hours in addition to the minimum yearly hours, financial aid will be revoked. Any student who withdraws from all classes during the semester or receives a 1.00 GPA or lower will be put on Financial Aid Exclusion and will not be able to apply for financial aid until he/she completes one semester with satisfactory academic progress. If a student has extenuating circumstances that prevented him/her from making satisfactory academic progress, he/she may appeal the status of Financial Aid Exclusion. Students enrolled in developmental courses are allowed a maximum of 30 attempted credit hours to remain on financial aid. Developmental course work is calculated into the semester GPA and hours completed for satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes at the end of each semester. See our Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions link at under the Financial Aid tab for examples and information or contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions you may have.

NF Grades:    Student’s receiving the grades of “F” for UA Rich Mountain purposes were in attendance, but did not pass the course. “NF” grades are given to students who failed a class due to non-attendance. If the student receives all “NF” grades, then a calculation will be completed for these students to determine how much of their Pell funds must be returned for that semester. Students with all “NF” grades will be placed on Financial Aid Exclusion.

Appeal Process:    Students may appeal the satisfactory academic progress policy if extenuating circumstances exist. The student must submit the appeal in writing to the Financial Aid Office within 30 days of the time that the student is notified of his/her non-compliance. The student may pick up the satisfactory academic progress appeal form in the Financial Aid Office or online at The Financial Aid Office will review the appeal. If approved, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation and must meet the terms and conditions set forth in the approved appeal. If the appeal is denied, the student may request an interview with the Student Appeals Committee by submitting a letter to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. The Student Appeals Committee will review the appeal and a recommendation will be made to the President of the College. The response of the President will then be forwarded to the Financial Aid Office and the College will notify the student of the decision.

Reinstate Funds:    When a student is dropped from federal aid eligibility, he/she must bring in an up-to-date transcript and request reinstatement after the satisfactory academic progress standard is reached.