AAS Massage Therapy
Massage Therapy encompasses many different techniques for a variety of health-related purposes and is considered part of complementary and alternative medicine. Therapists can specialize in many different techniques. Clients are treated by the use of touch to manipulate the muscles and other soft tissues of the body. Practical application of a variety of techniques helps pain management expedites healing of injuries, improves circulation, promotes relaxation and supports the general wellness of a client. Additionally, trained massage therapists educate clients on proper stretching, strengthening, and common postural habits and abnormalities.
At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively in a professional manner with clients, members of the healthcare team, and others.
- Utilize critical thinking skills to assess clients by employing a working knowledge of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and pathology in order to create a client-centered session plan.
- Provide care for diverse populations of clientele and demonstrate a personal commitment to service and the profession of massage therapy.
- Maintain an appropriate scope of practice through compliance with state regulations and pursue continuing education for licensure requirements.
- Integrate into their practice an understanding of the basic business, ethical, legal, and social issues and boundaries related to the massage profession.
- Utilize universal precautions and maintain a high level of sanitization of equipment and the facility.
- Utilize a variety of soft tissue modalities to aid in the health and healing of one’s body and recognize how those modalities and massage skills combine to create different effects to meet the goals of clientele.
- Use safe, efficient and effective body mechanics for injury prevention of the therapist and client as well as utilize, demonstrate and instruct the client in self-care techniques.
- Utilize the internet in preparation for national testing, maintaining an evidence-based practice through research and literacy and learning and applying software skills to schedule clients and keep SOAP notes and client records safe.
The College Catalog/Student Handbook has more details about this degree.
AAS Massage Therapy Degree Plan