cares-grant-web-page-top

Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act

Use of Funds - (a)(1) Student Portion

Dear Students: 

Recently, the Federal government passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to provide support for businesses and students. Higher education institutions were included in the Act, and the U.S. Department of Education determined amounts for institutions. Through the CARES Act, University of Arkansas Rich Mountain (UARM) was allocated a total of $542,150, half of which ($271,075) is to be provided directly to qualifying students under regulations provided to institutions by the Department of Education.   

The institution signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification of Agreement and that 50 percent of the funds received will be awarded as set forth under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.

UA Rich Mountain has submitted the Certification for funds to the Department.

How many students were awarded at UA Rich Mountain under the CARES Act?

UA Rich Mountain awarded 76 percent of the $271,075 to students enrolled for the spring semester. Realizing that there will be students still in need for fall, UA Rich Mountain will use the remaining 24 percent of funds to disburse to incoming fall 2020 students as eligibility is determined.

After eligibility was determined, 308 students enrolled for the spring 2020 semester were awarded funds through the CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants.

The remaining 24% of funds will be disbursed to incoming students as eligibility is determine.

Update for September 11, 2020

Remaining CARES funds were distributed to students that were returning students from spring 2020 and met Title IV eligibly criterion. These funds were disbursed after the census date for the fall 2020 term. 154 Students were awarded funds in the amount of $64,423.00.  Disbursement amounts are as follows:

Enrollment Status Amount
1/4 time $200.00
1/2 time $436.00
3/4 time $436.00
Full Time $436.00
20 HRS and UP $438.00

Who qualifies? 

Eligibility:  The eligibility requirements listed below match those that the Department of Education created for this program so that institutions have guidelines to follow for distributing these funds:

  • Must have FAFSA on file (or be eligible to file a FAFSA in the 2019-20 aid year*) 
  • Must not have been enrolled in exclusively online courses prior to March 13, 2020 
  • Meet satisfactory progress
  • Not a concurrent student
  • Not a transient student 
  • Not a 60+ waiver recipient 
  • Not an international or non-citizen student (International students and DACA students are not eligible for the CARES Act funds)

How much money will I receive? 

The amount received will vary depending on credit hours enrolled at UARM for the spring 2020 semester. UA Rich Mountain will award students $51 per credit hour. The Department of Education asked us to prioritize students who already demonstrated financial need through Pell Grant eligibility and awards and the students who were most disrupted, such as those living on campus or graduating in May 2020 due to the change in campus operations as a result of COVID-19. 

We have decided to pay students based upon hours enrolled as of March 13, 2020.

How will I get the money? 

Students’ checks will be mailed to the address on file. It is important that students check their address in the student portal. If it is incorrect, follow the steps received in the email from Chancellor Wilson on updating your account. You can also click on the following link to update address.

Name and/or Address Change Form

Pending availability of funds, we are estimating disbursement of funds starting May 26, 2020. Please note that the date is dependent upon the college receiving funds from the Department. We are currently waiting to receive the above funds.

When will I get the money? 

We will mail checks on May 26, 2020. Pending availability of funds.

*I did not complete a FAFSA, but I still meet all of the other eligibility requirements, so can I receive CARES Act student emergency funds? 

UA Rich Mountain awarded funds based upon Title IV eligibility. Even if the student did not complete FAFSA, funds were still disbursed after review of Title IV eligibility criterion. If you did not receive funds and did not file a FAFSA, contact the Office of Financial Aid at financialaid@uarichmountain.edu or call 479-394-7622, ext. 1420, 1421, or 1424.

Use of Funds - (a)(1) Institutional Portion, (a)(2), and (a)(3) Programs

Quarterly Budget and Expenditure Reporting under CARES Act Sections 18004(a)(1) Institutional Portion, 18004(a)(2), and 18004(a)(3), if applicable